Mom to Brooklyn Eloise

Born Sleeping June 27, 2012

Toledo, OH

I found out I was pregnant 2 days after our 6th wedding anniversary. We had been not trying not preventing for about 6 months. I might have been trying a little bit)… I had a perfect, uneventful pregnancy, never any morning sickness, active. I felt great up until the end. I would remark to friends I didn’t know what all the complaining was about, that I could be pregnant for another 6 months.

At about 35 weeks I had an ultrasound because we thought the baby was turned breech. I was planning to have a natural delivery so I really wanted everything to be perfect to allow that. She wasn’t breech but they began telling me at that time she was measuring small and I was measuring behind. I didn’t think much of it as they didn’t seem concerned and I knew that the ultrasound weights were often off. On a Monday, at 39.3 weeks, I had another ultrasound. They said she continued to be measuring small–5lb 15oz–and that my fluid was low at 5.1 but that there were some spots they couldn’t measure due to her position. They did a NST and everything came back perfect. They were planning to have me return on Thursday for another ultrasound and discussion of induction.

On Tuesday I noticed she wasn’t moving much, I thought. I was just so busy wrapping things up at work I didn’t notice. At 4am on Wednesday morning, I began having significant stomach cramping, and thought it was contractions. It continued until I finally got up for work around 6:30. I still wasn’t feeling her move, and thought I was going into early labor. Since I didn’t want to go to the hospital until I absolutely had to for the natural delivery, I decided to call my doctor at 8am to see if I could come in to get a better idea of what was going on and for peace of mind.

I got to the doctor about 9:30am. They hooked me up to the NST and were asking me lots of questions about when I last felt her move. Something wasn’t right, but I didn’t know what. The midwife said “I’m not bothering with this. Let’s do an ultrasound.” She did an ultrasound and said that they couldn’t find a heartbeat. They were sorry but our daughter was gone. I was 2 days shy of my due date.

They checked me and I was already dilated to 4cm. I had brought everything in the car thinking they were just going to send me to the hospital for labor. So that is where we went. By the time I got the epidural and they broke my water at 1pm I was already dilated to a 6.

Brooklyn Eloise was born sleeping at 4:11 pm weighing 6lbs 7oz.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. I am so sorry, such a heartbreaking story. <3

Leave a Reply to miranda Cancel reply


© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us