Ectopic pregnancy

July 29, 2011

Stafford, Virginia

My husband and I hadn’t planned on having a baby for a few years, since were both still young and starting out our marriage. On July 21st, I went to my physician to get my hypothyroidism checked out like I do every 6 weeks, and while I was there I had asked the physician randomly about how my thyroid disease would affect my fertility. She had said, “You will have a hard time getting pregnant, if it even happens at all.” After this I had just given up hope of ever having a child, even though it’s all I had ever wanted.

The next day I got a call from my physician and she said, “Well your blood test came back and you are pregnant, our next step is to set you up with an OB and endocrinologist.” Before she even finished I said, “Wait, WHAT?!” I immediately hung up and called my husband, who freaked out in shock and excitement! Once I set up the appointment with my OB, they had me come in and get blood taken to see how high my hCG levels were. Then, the next day at my appointment I had an ultrasound and more blood drawn. I could tell something was wrong due to the odd demeanor of my OB.

A few days passed and I went and had more blood drawn, and my OB called me back and stated that she needed me to get an ultrasound ASAP because my hCG levels weren’t doubling like they were supposed to. This immediately scared me. Once I went to the ultrasound on Thursday, the 28th of July, I had regained my hope, because the ultrasound technician said everything was looking good and my gestational sac was a good size for being 7 weeks. The next day my OB had me come in and said my hCG levels still hadn’t gone up, and she was afraid it was an ectopic pregnancy and I’d have to get a shot to terminate the baby immediately. She told me that I had to go straight to the ER get blood drawn, go pick up the methotrexate shot and take it back to her before her office closed. Well, it just so happens my husband was in the field this day (he’s in the Marine Corps) and I couldn’t get a hold of him! So, I called a friend who’s husband worked with mine and he called, and my husband’s boss told him to leave immediately and come home.

Once I had left the clinic, I was crushed. I had no motivation to go do all these “errands” my OB had told me to do, knowing it would be the end of my pregnancy…it was the toughest thing I’ve ever gone through.

Once I got to my apartment parking lot, I just sat in my car for a while, numb and crying. Once my husband got home it was too late, the OB clinic had closed. We called the on-call number and they told us to go to the ER and they would inject me with the shot. For about an hour we just lay in our bed and held each other and cried. To know that we were going to lose our child and there was nothing we could do was almost unbearable. We ended up going to the ER and dealing with rude and unsympathetic people who only made the situation worse. Finally, after 3 hours in the ER, they transferred me to the Labor and Delivery ward and I was put in a room and given the shot of methotrexate. I was given instructions on what to expect, and from there we went on our way. This day was by far the hardest day of my life, and the hardest day of our marriage so far. We definitely got stronger from this experience together, and were happy to have a little angel watching over us. As of today, we continue on our journey hoping and praying that someday we are blessed with a healthy pregnancy.

You can contact Erika at

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. I am sorry for your loss, and I know it is not easy, but coming from a woman who has lost three children and has had an ectopic pregnancy, in time you will heal but never forget your loss, but with god and prayer you will get through it. I see you live in stafford, va, I live in frederickaburg, and I grew up in stafford. If you ever need someone to talk to then I am available.

Show Your Support


© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us