Mommy to Elijah Thomas

Born May 7th, 2009 at 10:13am
Received his angel wings at 11:11am May 7th, 2009

Where should I start? Well I’ll start from the beginning. I went to a routine appointment at 30weeks and the doctor saw that my son seemed to have a cleft lip. The next day I was sent to the hospital to get some more advance ultrasounds. The tech took about an hour and a half and at the end told me to so see my OB/GYN. I went to my doctor’s office and he very calmly told me that my son had some other abnormalities and I needed to go see a perinatologist. I went to get my referral for the perinatologist and had that appointment on a monday. At this time my husband was deployed and I had to call the Red Cross to get him back home before my perinatologist appointment since I had already got bad news that something was wrong with my son’s brain.
On April 13, 2009 I went to my perinatologist appointment with my husband and had an MRI and more 3d ultrasounds done. Once I was done with the MRI, I saw the perinatologist and he broke the bad news to us. He said “with all these anomalies it looks like your son has trisomy 13 aka patau syndrome. I was going back every 2weeks just to make sure my son was still alive. And then on May 6th, 2009 I went to the hospital  because I was feeling some pressure but wasn’t feeling any contractions. They checked to see if I was dilating and I was only about a 1 after they checked me. I think that’s what threw me into having contractions. I wasn’t at the hospital where I was going to deliver Elijah, I was at a very small hospital. I had to be transferred to the hospital in San Antonio where my perinatologist was located, since he already knew what was going on.
We finally made it to San Antonio at about 11:30pm. when we got to Wilford Hall they sent me directly to labor and delivery. they already had my room prepared for me. they put Elijah and I on the monitors and every time I had a contraction his heart rate would drop. Then finally I just suddenly stopped having contraction but yet his heart rate was still dropping and coming back. The doctors came in and put some options out there.
The 1st thing we had to do was check what position Elijah was in, he was breech. Elijah had his own plan. he wanted to come out his own way and when he felt like it. the doctors told me they would try and turn him but then with his heart rate dropping so much they told me that was a BIG RISK. so I said no I don’t want to turn him what are my other options.
 The doctors said well you can have a c-section and I agreed in a heartbeat. my husband and I wanted to see our Elijah alive. We were prepared for the c-section at about 9:30am on May 7th, 2009.
Elijah was born at 10:13am on May 7th, 2009. the doctors just stimulated him a lil bit and handed him over to my husband. I was so glad I got to see him alive. He was baptized while my husband held him next to me. Elijah took 6 BIG GASPS while he was alive and whined once.
I am sooooooooooo thankful to God to have given us Elijah. Once they were done closing me up my husband gave me Elijah and I held him for a while and I noticed he was sooooooooo peaceful.
You can contact Vianca at 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. Vianca, I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Elijah. My son was stillborn on 9/12/00. I have said a prayer for you that God would give you his joy and comfort and that you would hold your son again some day in heaven.

  2. I’m so sorry for your loss. I just lost my son, Noah, to Trisomy 13, only 4 weeks ago. He was still-born at 39 weeks….I’ve known since 17 weeks….. I can’t wait til we meet again someday!

Show Your Support


© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us