Mom to Baby Roberts

Ectopic Pregnancy February 22nd, 2010

and Ethan James

Stillborn August 30th, 2011

Cottage Grove, Oregon

My husband, Jon, and I were married in October 2007. Eight months into our marriage, we decided to start trying for a family. I got off bc pills and hoped and prayed that my cycles would start soon and we would get a positive pregnancy test. But nothing happened. In February of 2009 I went to see my doctor for testing and found out I had a mild case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I went through three months of Clomid but never saw that positive pregnancy test. The stress of fertility treatments was taking its toll so we decided to not pursue any further testing or treatments. We were taking a break from trying to get pregnant.

In January 2010, I took a pregnancy test and it finally was positive! This was the happiest day of my life and I couldn’t wait to share the news with our families. The day before my first OB appointment, I woke up in excruciating pain on my right side. I thought I was having kidney stones. I went to work hoping the pain would subside. A few hours later I began bleeding. I called my doctor and they got me in for an ultrasound. There was no baby in uterus and everything indicated an ectopic pregnancy. I was sent to the hospital and was in and out of surgery and home all in about 6 hours. My tube had ruptured and the doctor had to remove it.

My husband and I wanted to start trying for another baby as soon as possible, but once again, no positive tests. I was very fearful that my remaining fallopian tube would be blocked and I would have another ectopic so I called my family practitioner to get a referral to a fertility specialist. He recommended I see a colleague of his first so that my insurance would cover any testing we did. So I scheduled an appointment and saw the new doc in January 2011. A week after seeing the new doctor, I had a blood test done just to make sure I wasn’t pregnant before going forward with an HSG. The test ended up coming up positive. I was pregnant! My husband and I were very thrilled. Nervous, but excited.

My pregnancy was textbook perfect. I never had morning sickness; my blood pressure was always amazing. In May we found out we were having a little boy. Ethan James is what we would name him. The OB I had been seeing was going to be moving in August so I switched back to my old OB that I had seen with my first pregnancy. My checkups were always great, my belly was growing at a normal rate, and there was nothing to be concerned about.

On Monday, August 29, at about 9:30 p.m., I was watching t.v. and started to see white spots. I called my sister, who is a nurse, and she had me take my blood pressure. It was 150/100 so I called my doctor’s office and they said I should head to the hospital. We got to the hospital and the nurses started hooking me up to the monitors but they were having trouble finding my baby’s heartbeat. They kept finding mine but couldn’t find his. My doctor was called in to do an ultrasound. He searched for a few minutes and then turned off the machine. My baby boy’s heart was no longer beating. (A friend at work had done an ultrasound that afternoon “for fun” and his heart was beating.)

We were admitted to Labor & Delivery and my family was on their way to the hospital. On Tuesday, August 30 at 2:25 my son was born sleeping at 37 weeks gestation. He weighed 4 lbs. 2.6 oz, was 16 ¼ inches, and his head was 11 ¼. He was the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. We spent 8 wonderful hours with our son, took pictures, and made memories that I will never forget. Friends and family came to the hospital to hold him, say hello, and goodbye.

My placenta was sent off for pathology and a week later we got the results. The vessels in the placenta had blood clots in them. My doctor said I might have a blood clotting disorder so in 4 weeks I will have tests run to find out what kind so that we can treat the clotting disorder in the future.

Hannah can be contacted at hroberts10607@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Show Your Support


© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us