Mom to Bethany Hope von Oven
May 3rd, 2009
Kathleen, Georgia
May 3, 2009 is a day I will never forget.  Although many of the memories are vague in my mind, I will never forget the reality of that day! May 2, was a beautiful Saturday filled with joy and laughter. I woke up anxious and exited to start the day. I was having a baby shower at our church and, although I was nervous due to the fact that I am not very fond of social gatherings with me as the center of attention, I was still elated.

The baby shower was beautiful and yet exhausting. By the time I returned home I had been gone a total of five hours. I was tired, swollen, hungry, and all of the other so called clichés very pregnant women seem to experience late in pregnancy! 

It had been a long hot day, not to mention that I was 37 weeks pregnant and feeling rather large and ready for this baby to come. I quietly sat in the nursery and put away the wonderful gifts we had received and laughed at all the pink stuff we had been given, considering we did not know if it was a boy or girl!

Later that evening I finally crawled into bed to crash for the night. I gently placed my hands on my stomach expecting the baby to be moving, as she had done every night that I got into bed. As I began to anxiously watch the time continue to tick by with still no movement, I began to worry. My husband started pushing on my stomach and still there was no movement. After an hour, I decided I needed to head to the doctor.

I can still remember praying all the way to hospital that everything would be ok, but I think I knew that it was not ok. When I got to the hospital they quickly got me into a room and tried to find the baby’s heartbeat and yet a chilling silence saturated the entire room. I was beginning to feel very sick as they rolled the ultrasound machine over my stomach to reveal a curled up and lifeless baby girl. I laid my head back and cried, “God no, God why?”   

The next few hours are somewhat of a blur. I don’t think I talked much; I just laid and cried. The next morning was Sunday, May 3, 2009. I was in a delivery room being induced to deliver my stillborn little girl. While most of the day is lost in my memories, I do remember the moment she was born. Three pushes and out she came. I did not see her – I simply laid my head back and closed my eyes as tears rolled down my face. My husband watched as her lifeless body came into the world. He fell to his knees and sobbed as he tightly held my hand. Our World was forever changed in that defining moment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. Amy, my daughter passed on May 3, 2009 as well. She was 13 days old. I know God has a special place in heaven for our precious babies, and what a beautiful picture to see them arriving there together.

  2. Lots of love to you Amy

  3. Amy, my heart aches with yours. I lost my Elise at 36 weeks due to a cord accident on April 6, 2009. I remember so much about the days and weeks and months following that tragic day that I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on May 3. I am so sorry to read your story, but i thank you for sharing it. I have become a follower of your blog and joined your forum :) (((hugs)))

Show Your Support


© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us