Mom to Dominic Alejandro Torres
March 25th, 2010- March 26th, 2010
Ocala, FL
My story begins like any other and ended in a horrible loss. I didn’t know I was pregnant with Dominic until a car wreck forced me into physical therapy. Which forced me into getting CT Scans; and other imaging done. Except, I never got them done because a pregnancy test revealed I was indeed pregnant. Pregnant after, at the least, 6 different trips to the ER said no. But, I was and began coming up with names and enjoying my pregnancy. Until my 5th month.

In my 5th month, I began contracting and kept telling my new OB that and he said it was due to me having a history of large babies and carrying so low. I believed him because my last son was really a few ounces shy of 10lbs. So as I got further a long, the contractions got worse and I was huge. So huge that it looked like I was carrying triplets and I was only by then, 6 months. 

My intuition kept screaming something was wrong. Even amongst 4 trips to L & D to stop the contractions and find nothing unusual. I chalked it up to being eager after 3 years, finally ready to be a new mommy again. So I gained a lot of weight, but had no idea how because I really couldn’t eat. I was having such a hard time breathing and walking. Soon I was just bed ridden, I was so huge. But my OB kept assuring things were fine. 

After going on like this 2 more weeks. I had to know FOR SURE. So I lied to him and said, I hadn’t felt baby move all day. After he tried for at least 5 minutes, he sent me down the hall for an ultrasound. The tech said everything was looking good until she measured my amniotic fluid which was 3 times more than it should have been at 7 months. So from there, they sent me to the L & D to stop the contractions. Diagnosed me with Polyhydramnios and then had to figure out why I had so much. I went to L & D, they couldn’t stop the contractions, but at the same time, I wasn’t dilating. I was rushed via Ambulance to the University hospital where I ended up staying for 4 days. 
While at the hospital, I had 12L of fluid drained and then sent me for a 3D ultrasound. It was then, they made the discovery that my precious Dominic was missing his lower jaw bone and his ears were at the neck. I remember sitting there and telling my husband, we had to end this pregnancy. Blocking out everything the doctor was saying. But it was too late. I was scared and just overwhelmed with grief. Once they ran more testing, the diagnosis was made, but they kept saying nothing is 100% until delivery. I had never prayed so hard in my life. But the inevitable took place. I was schedule for a C-section at 37 weeks.
The day Dominic was born, my husband couldn’t be with me. This was my first C-section and I was alone with more than 20 doctors in the room. And knowing that my son would be dying within the days to come. I remember sitting on that cold table, crying and praying. 

When Dominic was born, the only voice I heard was the Anesthesiologist saying I was doing great and to just stay calm. Dominic NEVER cried. Til this day, I wonder what my little man would have sounded like, but I am left with never knowing. They did an immediate tracheotomy because he wasn’t able to breathe on his own. His mouth was the shape of a little 0. I remember waiting in recovery to see what he really looked like for myself. Reality set in when my husband came back with photos. 

Seeing my not even 5 hour old son with wires and everything, just sent me on a whirlwind of emotions. I couldn’t see him. They wouldn’t let me see him until I was sent to my room. On March 25th, Dominic Alejandro Torres was born weighing 6 pounds 7 ounces and was 18.5 inches long. He had the most beautiful brown hair. And he looked so helpless. But he was a fighter. He wasn’t supposed to make it through the night, but he did. We did a prayer circle and had him Christened. But I knew what was coming. 

The next day I went to visit him in the NICU and before going in the doctors told me it didn’t look good. That throughout the night, they’d revived him 3 times. One of his lungs had collapsed and had it not been for the pain meds … he was in a lot of pain. They asked me what I wanted. Whether to have them do everything in their power to save him or let him go. Knowing how much pain he was in, I made the decision no mother should ever have to make. I told them no more. 

I don’t regret it, but sometimes I question what if I hadn’t given up on him so soon. But I’ll never know. Dominic fought as long as he could, but in the end, it had to be this way. I will forever remember my son.
You can contact Portia at Ldyxtrrs@aol.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. Oh hun my heart simply broke reading your story. Sending you warm hugs and much love and my assurance that your Dominic won't be forgotten. Hugs

Show Your Support


© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us