As our Faces community has grown, and more and more stories have been posted to the site, we’ve started to think, “hey, there are a lot of people that live in the same cities…how cool would it be if they could all meet up in-person?”
And so, the idea of our Face2Face Friendship Groups was born.
Face2Face Friendship Groups are not meant to be formal ‘support groups,’ but rather simple gatherings of friends who share a deep common bond. Groups of friends hanging out, enjoying a meal or a cup of coffee (or tea! Or wine!), and talking about their babies.
In order to get these groups up and running, we need your help. We will be looking for mamas to sign up as Group Leaders for their cities/areas in the coming weeks/months.
2. Decide on a time and location for your group meetings. We recommend choosing a public spot, like a restaurant or coffee shop, but it’s all up to you! You might choose to meet once a month, bi-weekly, or b-monthly–again, it’s up to you.
3. Send your meeting details to us, so we can add your group to the Group Directory. Your name and contact information will be listed and interested women will be encouraged to contact you with questions.
4. Set up a Facebook page for your group (optional) and send us the link to include with your group details.
5. We will send you a Group Leader Intro Packet, as well as periodic tips, ideas, optional conference calls, and materials to help make your group successful. We are here to support you, but as a Group Leader, you will be responsible for deciding what (if any) structure your group will have.
6. As new groups are formed, they will be added to Group Directory, so that new Faces mamas can search for groups to hook up with in their areas.
Group Leader ‘Requirements’:
- Must have personally experienced the loss of a baby at some point in their lives (gestation/age does not matter, nor does the year in which the loss occurred!)
- Must be able to commit to being a Group Leader for a minimum of 6 months
- Desirable traits: responsible, dependable, organized, outgoing, good communicator, creative, empathetic, fun!
Group Leader Responsibilities:
- Determine group meeting dates, times, and location (for example, the 2nd Tuesday of the month, 7pm, at the Starbucks in St. Louis Park), and communicate any changes/cancellations to Faces staff.
- Serve as primary contact in your area. This includes communicating with new Faces mamas interested in joining/attending your group, etc.
- Decide upon the structure (if any) of your group. Will you just get together and chat? Will you do a sort of book club? Will you come up with discussion questions before each meeting? It’s up to you!
- Recruit people to join your group. In addition to being listed on the Faces website, you may wish to have your group listed with your local hospital/birth center/clinic, or even personally invite women from your area as you see them post stories on facesofloss.com.
- Keep a listing of all group members/attendees, so that you can send group meeting reminders, changes, etc.
So…ready to become a Group Leader? Please fill out this form completely. Once we’ve received your application, you will get an email from a Faces staff person, along with a packet of information (also via email) within one week of applying. Questions? Please contact Annette at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks so much!