WSP_1691Jenna

Mom to Allison, James, and Colin

December 31, 2012

Pittsburgh, PA

After one year of trying to conceive on our own, my husband and I turned to a Reproductive Endocrinologist.  We quickly learned that I had PCOS and started medications right away. Four months later after our first round of injectable hormones, we learned we were expecting triplets!  We were overjoyed to be pregnant, but concerned about the potential complications. The next four months were beautiful.  We were able to see our babies at 9 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks and 19 weeks during routine high-risk visits. They were growing great, placentas looked awesome, and we learned they were all fraternal, so we didn’t have to worry about twin to twin transfusion syndrome. I grew quickly and loved every moment.  I was anxiously awaiting the day when I would feel the first kicks, instead of just little flutters.

At our 19 week appointment we received our first bit of bad news, along with some great news.  Two boys and a girl! We were thrilled to have a mix. However, worry set in when we were told that my cervix was a little short. Back down to the high risk office where I was told that it wasn’t critically short yet, so just take it easy and come back in 10 days. This was the Friday before Christmas, so no big deal.  I can sit around and eat cookies for a week! I never made it to that 10 day follow up.
Just one week later, on my 20 week mark exactly, I noticed a small amount of pink spotting. Being high risk I went to the hospital.  There, I passed a large bring red clot and on my first exam was informed that I was completely dilated. We were losing our precious babies. At first, we had hope that I could deliver Baby A, my cervix would close, and I could stay on bed rest for a few more weeks. I spent two whole days flat, with an epidural, catheter and multiple IV’s hoping and praying for a miracle. The first day was uneventful.  Our family was with us and we pretty much just waited.  The second day we received more bad news. My water had broken, but it wasn’t Baby A’s like we thought. . .it was Baby B’s, and he was now stuck with no fluid at all.  His lungs would never develop, even if I could keep him in.  I continued to hope that we could save our last baby.
On the third morning, it was obvious that Baby A was going to be born.  The doctor broke her water and we waited for my body to do its thing.  Forty-five minutes later, with a hard contraction, Baby C’s water broke on its own.  My heart broke right along with it, we were definitely losing them all.  All hope was gone. Our daughter, Allison, was born at 11:01, at 10.3 ounces.  Our first son, James, was born at 11:28, at 11.5 ounces.  Our second son, Colin, was born at 12:21, at 11.3 ounces. All three were born alive, and died shortly after birth.  They were absolutely perfect, my body just couldn’t hold them.  The official diagnosis is incompetent cervix, although we do not have any results from the placenta yet [at time of submission].
We had our time with them, to hold them, talk to them, to love them.  I don’t feel like it was long enough, but how could it have been. Nothing will be long enough unless it was the rest of our lives.

Jenna can be reached at thebretzelfactory.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Show Your Support

*

© 2011 Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope | PO Box 26131 | Minneapolis, MN 55426 | Contact Us